Saturday, May 29, 2010

Project Updates Keeping Current

Here are 2 projects from the Monday's rug hooking class. One a small house rug by Charlotte.




And a chair seat cover by Christine. As the advanced class they have designed all the rugs they have made. I am very proud of their accomplishments. They are taking the summer off but we will all go to Charlotte's cottage for a day of visiting and what else, hooking!

The portrait class I am taking at the Farnsworth is still great fun and tends to stretch ones ideas and imagination. This week we had to put ourselves into a faiy Tale. Lots of wings came about with Icarus, Dedalis and angels as well as dragons and a woman rising from the ocean and one sleeping in a pond. Having been facinated by the myths perpetuated with the color red and combined with shoes my own tale is with the overlaying of feminity and culture portrayed with red shoes. I chose to use to tissue as a way to portray the layers. The teacher gave me this idea when I struggled to push one image back and bring another forward. All I could think of was organdy!


Red Shoes charcoal, tissue paper, acrylic paint, pastel

Next will be to put ourselves into a famous painting like the Mona Lisa. I will have to think on this. And our assignment is to make an exagerted drawing pushing those details that make us us.. Hmmm am I ready for this not sure. But adding the paint to the charcoal helped to beef up the heightened color of the shoes which were done in pastel to begin with and not powerful at all. So maybe I am getting this... Time will tell.


1 comment:

SHANNA WHEELOCK said...

love the red shoes portrait! can;t wait to se what you create at your next class at the farnsworth!!!