Monday, February 04, 2008

New Images From January 2008



New Years Greetings from the Island, Here the land has turned white and stayed white inspiring a new series of painting using , white!!! At the end of 2007 I challenged myself to get back to the oils and have something to show for it whether it took months or 2 years but to keep steady at the process. I have been able to do this spending many hours in the studio. First off I had to come up with 3 paintings for a show in February called Big Big Love. The show is up now at the North Dam Mill in Saco and runs for the month of February. The image of my submissions is at the top.
And also the drying wall in my studio with a few of the white paintings. In tomorrows post I will show a few of the encaustics I am working on . Its a series harkening back to my days in textiles when I wove rag rugs and did some production weaving in napkins, placemats and other small items. I also used to dye 200 pounds of wool in a season. The series is called Indigo and uses some graphics from the stitching method in Japan to make decorative items as well as common day cleaning cloths. This Sashiko stitch binds cloth togther. The cleaning cloths are called Sashiko Zokin. I have immersed myself in these encaustics and now find myself even trying to do the stitching on some batik cloth which is the closest I can come to the dark blues of Indigo and the other resist dyes that are used in some woven garments. Until then live well, Diane

No comments: